Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Letter to the Editors

This letter was written in response to Amanda Seebaugh's column that appeared in the October 18, 2007 print issue of The Pharos.

Dear Editors:

I am responding to the article written by columnist Amanda Seebaugh in the last issue of The Pharos. It has come to my attention that Ms. Seebaugh has received considerable negative feedback for her work. I would like to express my thoughts.

First of all, I have to say that I am a Bible-believing Christian. Therefore, I agree with Ms. Seebaugh’s stance on homosexuality. Also, I understand how she feels. It is true that prejudice exists on this campus, against both homosexuals and those who do not agree with that lifestyle. However, sometimes this results in a self-righteous attitude and people such as I seem to evade such people. This is not what Christianity is. Christianity is not about avoiding non-believers. Jesus commands us to love. He calls us to love God with everything we have, as well as our neighbor.

Ms. Seebaugh pointed out that she does not avoid homosexuals. I am glad she mentioned this. She does not believe she is any better than someone who is not a Christian, and neither do I. We are not perfect; Christians mess up. This is not an excuse to sin, however. I am glad she mentioned that Christians need to speak up more. This is true, but we can’t do it out of self-righteousness or duty. It has to be out of love and a desire to point people to Jesus. I do not believe Ms. Seebaugh is trying to be hateful with her article, merely truthful. She wants people to hear what the Bible says.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is not about being right. It is about the fact that humans are sinful, sin separates us from God, someone was going to have to pay the price of death for that sin, and Jesus Christ died so that we wouldn’t have to. I just want everyone who reads this to know that love is not about saying something is ok. I don’t hate homosexuals because I disagree with them. I still love them as people, just as everyone should. Thank you for your time.

--Josh Carpenter

No comments: